Aluminum Phosphide Alert! Print

EMS providers need to be alert that Aluminum phosphide is being ingested by people to create an euphoric effect.  After ingestion, the body converts the toxin to a gas. Aluminum phosphide is a greenish gray solid at room temperature. Hydrogen phosphide (phosphine) gas, produced by reaction with aluminum phosphide in contact with water (even at ambient humidity), has an odor similar to garlic or decaying fish.  EMS providers can be contaminated from the patient’s breath. For more information, review this document: Aluminum Phosphide Information